Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Chapter 22: Expectations and Reactions

I went to Turin with expectations about what I would feel and experience in the presence of the Shroud. I expected strong emotional reactions from myself — things like awe, sadness, maybe even guilt at the suffering Christ endured.

What I experienced in myself was so above and beyond my expectations. Rather than strong visceral emotional reactions, I experienced a level of reverence that transcended and exceeded my normal thoughts and emotions.

I was privileged to spend a total of 20 hours in the presence of the Shroud. I had 5 close up visits (that lasted just minutes each) and then the rest of my time I spent sitting in the Chapel, viewing it from a distance. I took copious notes while sitting in the Chapel. I studied the image mostly using the naked eye, but also with binoculars and 3D glasses.

I saw the Shroud when the Chapel was dark and also during Mass when the Chapel lights were on (both in the early morning and at night). I saw it while sitting, kneeling, and standing. I observed it with my head in both vertical and horizontal relationship to the image (which hangs horizontally). I viewed it from a staggered distances. I was in its presence at all hours, from very early in the morning, at various times during the day, evening, and late at night.

Normally when people see something incredible they use the phrase “It is beyond words” to describe it. The Shroud is the opposite; it deserves and demands an infinity of words. The experience is vast and indelible. Those 20 hours alone have given me years worth of chapters of blogging material. This lasting depth of subtlety and nuance in my observations arrived unexpected, and for it I am infinitely grateful.

I also did not expect to notice how starkly simplistic and simultaneously other worldly the Shroud is, especially when it stands in comparison to all the “bling” associated with other religious icons, paintings, relics, sculptures, vestments, ritual paraphernalia, churches, cathedrals, and so forth.

I literally have never seen anything like it — no other image or painting, or photograph or stain or scorch mark or anything comes even close to being comparable. That in and of itself is reason to marvel.

Sure, the Shroud of Turin is reminiscent of things I have seen before, such as ancient cave paintings, complex geometric designs that trick the eye, alien sci fi imagery, MRI's or X-rays, and Rorschach tests...but none of these come close to the density and depth of information or the subtlety and reach of the Shroud.

I also had expectations in terms of what I would see in other visitors' reactions. I thought I might see people crawling towards it on their knees like pilgrims do at Lourdes. I expected to see emotional breakdowns, sobbing, fainting and possible hysteria or religious fervor.

A common silence and atmosphere of serenity and reverence lingered in the Chapel. In addition, the level of focus and fixation on the image was so severe that one man tripped and fell into the Chapel pews, knocking one over. Another man was so fixated while walking in the back of the Chapel that he tripped and fell to the ground, hitting his head on the marble column.

There were some tears and many gasps of disbelief from the wound marks, but it was all very quiet and contained...all very in keeping with the serenity of the face of the man of the Shroud.

But mostly what I saw from others was the simple act of making the sign of the cross.