Tuesday, December 15, 2009

About Chapter 1

About Chapter 1

The risk in blogging about human suffering is that no one will read it. We are surrounded by suffering, in our own lives, in the news, in the world. Why concentrate on it? Enough already!

That's how I used to think about it. But then all this happened with the Shroud, me, my identity and life being turned upside down.

When I saw the Shroud of Turin, I began my journey of understanding the deeper mysteries of suffering...and why it's well worth investing the time to contemplate it.

It's as though we have this great big knot we've never really been able to untangle. So we just keep pulling it tighter and recreating the mess. But it is a solvable mystery. Not overnight per say...but solving it begins with facing it head on—for what it really is.

That means not only defining it and understanding it intellectually/philosophically, but also accessing an honest perception of how we process and habituate our experience of it.

It's work. But well worth doing, as the liberation and rewards of promised ease are true and attainable.

Christ reveals that through the image on the Shroud. He burned through the pain of torture and death and left behind an imprint for us...to prove it is possible to transmute suffering into salvation (both while we are here on earth and beyond in our death).

So pull up your boot straps and keep reading. Can't promise I'll be here every day, but I will be here as the mystery unfolds in me and I will share my process with you.