Saturday, December 19, 2009

About Chapter 3

For thirty years I lived with the underlying assumption that I was in control of much in myself and in my life. Then my entire identity collapsed, when I learned that I was not the man I thought I was. Even more unnerving--learning that I originate from an unsolved mystery (the Shroud of Turin).

I used to believe that it was in my power to remedy my own suffering. In some respects, I was successful. It seemed logical, the notion that human suffering would respond and be resolved via human remedy.

The idea of relinquishing my free will never really crossed my mind. Biblically, our free will is what sets us apart from all other species. I always perceived it as something to covet and cultivate. And it is...up to a point. And then the trails goes cold.

Human remedies can only take us so far. If we wish to transcend the implications of human suffering, we must venture through and beyond our habitual human remedies for it. This blog is just one vehicle for that wandering.